A Virtual Education

In less than two weeks we will be starting our first day of school; virtual homeschooling that is. As some of you may know our experience in the traditional public school setting has not been great. At the end of last year while searching for private schools and homeschool options I discovered Connections Academy, a virtual school.   

After lots of research and discussion we decided virtual school was the way to go.  It offers the best of both worlds; teachers and students, live Internet sessions, field trips, etc along with the low-key homeschool environment. 

Over the last two weeks we have received a desktop computer for school use and all the materials and books in the photo.  We are in the process of getting everything set up, which has been fun.  The amazing part, the part that really shocked me was; this program is FREE, yes free in our state (and many others). Love that!

My daughter is very excited to get started and I certainly hope this will renew her love of learning again.

IMG_2919

Supplies we received;   Full art kit. drawing paper. paint brushes, books for all core subjects, workbooks for all core subjects, science kits, headphone/microphone, grade level novels, yoga DVD, fitness book, jump rope, curriculum guides for  parents,  math aids & computer software. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you received all the supplies she needs (is there ANYTHING that you have to buy?) I'm curious to know how she submits art projects and other projects that she's not doing on the computer, do they get mailed in?
If only I had the patience to home school... or think that my kids (esp. Sara!!) would actually do their work, I would think about giving that a try, too.

Amber said...

There is a list of suggested stuff to buy, simple stuff really like pencils, paper, crayons, etc. Oh and the list contains stuff for projects, but its mainly stuff you already have around the house. As for mailing in projects and papers, they provided us with large prepaid mailing envelops. I think the girls would do their work, their teachers would make them. LOL The teachers have a lot of contact with their students, which is great!

Amy said...

This is such a great option. I have always had an open mind for home schooling. For us, it wouldn't seem possible right now and (most importantly) I love their school. But it is nice to know how many growing options are available to parents. I know at least one of my boys will have difficulty learning in the traditional way, they just think and learn differently. If and when the time comes I hope these kinds of programs are still in place!

Have fun watching her learn and love learning all over again!

Dawning Inspiration said...

Sounds very exciting - I hope you both thoroughly enjoy it!!

Unknown said...

Hi Amber, just say your comment on my blog (so I'm following you too). It will be great to be able to track each other this way and feel free to contact me anytime okay! Also enjoying your photography (I do some myself too). Are they available for purchase too? Stay in touch.

Cheryl said...

good luck with this... I too have thought about home schooling for various reasons but for us, public schools still out weighs home schooling. I will be interested to see how it goes though...

Post a Comment